To Virtual Tour
The Romanian Peasant Museum’s building is placed in Victoriei Square in Bucharest, next to the Natural Science Museum “Grigore Antipa” and the Geology Museum. The construction of the building, including its design was assigned to architect N. Ghika-Budesti, leading member of the autochthonous school of architecture. According to the museographic view of the ethnographer and director Alexandru Tzigara-Samurcas, he was supposed to raise a “palace of autochthonous art” inspired by typical monastery interiors.

In 1941, after 29 years and many interruptions, the building, in its current shape is ready. Representative for the neo-Romanian style, inspired by traditional architecture, especially the brancovenesc style, the building is remarkable by its composition using mainly floral and zoomorphic decorations. The visible red bricklayer, the big windows under arches, the columns of the logia, the elegant silhouette of the main tower reminding of the bell towers in old monasteries make the building a true palace of art.

In the 60s a new wing of offices and auxiliary rooms is added in total discordance with the style conceived by Ghika-Budesti. A huge mosaic, characteristic for the quasi-proletkult period in Romanian Communism, individualizes the new wing.

Events

Muzeul virtual al Copilăriei
We wear culture: De la Coco Chanel la portul tradițional românesc
Revista MARTOR disponibilă online
Atelier 360
 Call for Papers:  Archives and Politics of Memory in Central and Eastern Europe: from Informal Practices to Formal Methodologies

Din muzeu

De-a Balaurul
A apărut numărul 22/2017 al anuarului de antropologie Martor
Ethnophonie CD 25

Texts & Contexts

Al. Tzigara-Samurcaş - Scrieri despre arta românească
Câteva gânduri despre muzeu, cantităţi, materialitate şi încrucişare

Ţăranul Povestit

23 aprilie: Sfântul Gheorghe (Sârgiorz)


 
closed